These last two weeks, Paul and I have been focusing primarily on the talk that we are required to give at the end of the year. We have discussed the setup of the talk and started to create slides on the subjects that we want to talk about. These slides will be used as visual cues during the presentation so that we will know when to move on and what subject to move on to.
While the speech has been the main focus of the last two weeks, we have made a few small improvements to the game such as attempting to add sound to when the player dies, spawns, jumps, and so on.
These past two weeks have been rather hectic, so Paul and I have not had a lot of time to get together outside of school. Instead, we have worked more on our speech over text messaging. We have a few of the bare essentials of the speech down, such as what we might concentrate on. We are probably going to concentrate on the endless job opportunities that coding can bring to kids later in life as well as how it improves skills such as problem solving and, if you are working with others to create something using coding, teamwork. We will also most likely add something about how this project has taught us to pay greater attention to detail. Although that it is not the entirety of what we will talk about, it's a start.
This past week, Paul and I have been looking into how to make the surfaces that our character will be jumping and running on. These are just solid actors that do not move and have collision attributes on them. We have tried a few different combinations and are probably going to use several of these setups for different levels. We have found this primarily through experimentation so we do not have a link for you to look at. However, I'm sure there are many out there to suit your needs and interests.
We have also started to look at the possible avenues to our speech at the end of this product. We have started to plan what we will talk about, but have not done enough to talk about on here yet.
20 time has been a wonderful experience, it has allowed Paul and I to learn a valuable skill in coding and has also been an enjoyable adventure. While at times the process of creating a game has definitely been an ordeal, such as when we lost a weeks progress due to a saving glitch, or when we made an improvement in movement and lost the part that we had done the previous week, this has been an incredibly entertaining and educational process.
If I could have started this project over, I would have done a few things differently. First off, I would have not have relied completely on the internet but would have taken a programming class or two. Other than that, I think we did this project with relatively good efficientcy.
This week we just continued our search for backgrounds and characters. We have been doing this by primarily researching the art of creating them. However we have also looked into just purchasing some but feel that that would ruin the experience and therefore we should probably not do it.
This past week, Paul and I have been on vacation at two different locations. This has made it impossible to get together to work on Free Run. Therefore, we decided to research instead while corresponding over text. The subject that we focused on was score keeping mainly. Our game is not quite ready for this yet but it will most likely be encorporated at a later stage. As this is a rather intricate process I have chosen to not cover it in the post. However, the link for one of the websites that gives good information about how to put score in is below.
This week, Paul and I have continued our research in backgrounds. In addition, we have also researched the behavior of collisions within the game.
Collisions come into play both when two objects run into each other as well as when one object rests upon another. The primary behavior used in this is "collide". This can be placed upon both moving and non-moving actors.
The information we found was primarily on the link below:
This week, Paul and I have continued to research how to get backgrounds implanted into the game. We have also began to experiment with this process. We tried to use several different backgrounds from google images in our game. However, we have not found one that particularly strikes our fancy yet. We are still working on finding one currently. The main snippet from the website " http://cookbook.gamesalad.com/tutorials/1/parts/5 " that we used to obtain the knowledge necessary is "You can also import images into an image library within your project. This can be useful if you want to assign an image to an actor later on or if you simply want to use an image as background media within your game. To add an image into the image library, we’ll select “Scenes” from the selection bar at the top. Open a scene by double-clicking on it. In the bottom left of the scene editor, we have our library. Select “Images” to view all of the images within our project. You can drag new images to this section to add them to your project. From here, you can drag images into a scene, into animation sequences, or access them via the “change image” behavior in the Actor editor. You can also drag them up to the actor box to create a new actor with that image." Feel free to check out the link above. It has great information about gamesalad.